Becoming a Member
Thank you for your interest in joining The TouchDown Club’s (“TDC”) Newman Class of 2023-2024. TDC was formed by John Poston and a group of his close friends who worked together towards one cause: raising money to establish and fund the operations of The Ashford Rise School of Dallas. The Rise School is an education program that provides the highest quality of early childhood education services to children (6 months to 5 years) with Down syndrome and other developmental disabilities side by side with children without disabilities in an inclusive classroom setting. Hence the name, “Touch” “Down” club. In August 2016, The Rise School formally merged with the YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas – the Ashford Rise School of Dallas is now located in The Moody Family YMCA in the Park Cities.
In 1998, The TouchDown Club of Dallas started with around thirty members and today the club has grown to over 400+ active members and alumni across all professional industries in Dallas. TDC continues to be the lifeblood of YMCA Rise, raising over $1,000,000 annually to help improve the lives of children with special abilities and their families. Since the club’s inception, TDC has raised over $15,000,000 through our various annual events, such as: Rise RoundUp, Black Tie Brawl, The Rise Cup Classic, The Stallings Award, and TDC’s Big Texas BBQ. 100% of the funds benefit The Ashford Rise School of Dallas and allow the program to continue to provide the highest quality early developmental and educational services to children with Down syndrome and other developmental disabilities.
Since the inception of TDC, each year a membership committee elects a Newman Class of eighteen (18) professional, like-minded gentlemen to join the club who are enthusiastically committed to students and families of The Rise School as well as the club’s mission:
- Raise money for Rise!
- Have fun doing it!
To give an idea of our impact and role in the continued success of YMCA Rise, 50-60% of the school’s annual operating budget is offset through donations and contributions directly raised by TDC. It’s a great honor to be able to provide the much needed financial relief for the families of over sixty (60) children enrolled each year.
Our motto is and has always been: It’s all for the kids!
THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA IS EXPECTED DURING YOUR NEWMAN YEAR:
- All donations raised through TDC will be allocated to the Rise School through July 2023 through June 2024.
- Raise a minimum of $15,000 in charitable contributions and attend all events for the year.
- As a team, TDC will provide ample opportunities to assist in reaching your goal.
- The application outlines the mandatory events that you must be present for in order to complete the Newman year. Event dates are TBD and will be updated prior to the application deadline. Required attendance and participation in following events:
- Newman Dinner
- Newman Retreat
- Monthly Newman Meetings (Boiler Rooms)
- All six (6) major fund raising events in both a volunteer or attendance capacity.
- Walk with your Newman Class through “graduation” by attending multiple events, both social (TDC StyroCup, Member-Member Party, happy hours, etc.) and fund-raising (Newman Boiler Rooms, Rise RoundUp, Rise Cup Classic, etc.)
- The Rise School is a five-year program which helps children with disabilities learn basic educational and developmental skills so they might enter elementary school by the average age. You will join TDC just as a new class of students enters The Rise School. We expect you to stay actively involved with TDC until your class graduates.
- Each Newman is encouraged to visit/tour the school (preferably during the application process). During the year you will be asked to go and read to the students. This is a very impactful experience for both the kids and YOU.
- Have fun, socialize and make TDC better than you found it!
Year Two: Second Year TDC members will have involvement in different event committees, and an annual fundraising requirement of $2,500. Two (2) members for each of the nine (9) total events, committees and roles listed below.
1) Rise Round Up 6) Member-Member Social Coordinators
2) Black Tie Brawl 7) Newman Coordinators
3) Rise Cup Classic 8) Newman Membership
4) Big Texas BBQ 9) Major Gifts
5) StyroCup Golf Tournament
Year Three: Third Year TDC members will be expected to take increased roles and responsibilities within the event committees, and leadership roles in the club. Members can continue on the same committee, move to a new committee, or propose that a new committee be started if there is satisfactory board support for the plan behind such committee. President is in charge of annual reassignments. Stay involved with the school and your class.
Year Four +: Fourth Year TDC members will transition into leadership roles within the club, for those who have earned it. Stay involved with the school and your class.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY April 28th
Please only include ONE active TDC Member as your sponsor in the application below. Each active member can only sponsor two (2) people so please check with your sponsor prior to completing the application.
Applicants may only apply for membership three (3) times. After the third unsuccessful attempt, applicants will no longer be eligible for membership.
April 28th Applications Deadline (no exceptions)
May 18th Applicant Breakfast #1 (Rise School of Dallas 8:00am)
May 31st Applicant Happy Hour #1 (Park House 5:00pm)
June 7th Applicant Happy Hour #2 (Park House 5:00pm)
June 15th Applicant Breakfast #2 (Rise School of Dallas 8:00am)
TDC sponsored breakfasts and happy hours are for applicants to meet the selection committee members.
June 30th Newman Class Announced
Newman 2023-2024 Schedule
July 20th Newman Dinner (attendance mandatory)
July 28th – July 30th Newman Retreat (attendance mandatory)